Thursday, October 16, 2008

Something Fishy is Going On

Mr. Jim says I make the best tuna fish sandwiches. This is how I make them. Open the tuna can. Drain out the liquid really well. You probably haven’t drained it enough. Drain it some more. Put it in a bowl. Add just enough Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise until it is slightly moist. Add a bit of Grey Poupon mustard, salt and pepper. Dice and add celery. Mix and serve on whole grain bread. That is some good stuff.

Although I do love tuna fish sandwiches, my favorite way to eat tuna is raw. Blech, you say? Raw fish you say? This is what I say back …..Sushi!!!! Since Ms. Skaggs and I happened to love sushi the exact equal amount I went to the Tsukiji Fish market. This is where very high quality tuna is bought and sold for all the tuna sushi in Tokyo. I got up waaaaayyyy early to make sure I was there before the 5:30am auction. All the white hunks are whole tuna fish. The men with signs on their caps and papers in their hands are the buyers. They hope to get a good price at the action. Each tuna had a flap cut off near the tail. They buyers examined them looking for the best quality fish. This man was walking around with a sign. I took a picture of him with a flash…. So sorry..bow, bow... so sorry...bow Ohhhh...Ohh... he is ringing the bell!
It is starting!


I love how the auctioneer is so into his work! Once the fish are sold the men take huge hooks to drag the frozen fish across the concrete floor and put them on carts to deliver them. This tuna has been deliver to one of the vendor’s stalls. They cut it all apart so it can be served like this To earn some KenYen explore something Ms. Skaggs and I could eat every day….sushi. Scroll to the middle of the page and watch the chef prepare the sushi you choose. Draw a picture, label your sushi and give it to Ms. Skaggs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mrs. Kennedy! I do love sushi and I think that your pictures and video do such a great job of capturing what the fish market was like! You got up really really early! I'm anxious to see if anybody brings me a picture of the sushi that they picked!

Did you know that when my friend from Denmark is here, we like to go to Ai and have sushi? We take pictures of the sashimi plates too. Your photo reminded me of that!

I hope to hear from you again soon!

Ms. Skaggs