I was suprised that in Japan I saw Halloween decorations for sale in the stores and beautiful Halloween window displays featuring orange, black and pumpkins. Check out my Japanese friend since childhood, Hello Kitty.

In light of the season, one of the things I brought to my host family were Halloween straws, pencils and trick or treat candies. The kids were a buzz of excitement because they had learned about Halloween at school! The girls told me they like the colors and characters. They wanted to know exactly how trick or treating works. If you have never tried to explain the concept of trick or treating to someone from another culture, believe me - it sounds very odd.
Check out Grandmother, "obaatyann" and Tomonari with their Halloween theme straws. Tomo quickly found out that when you blow into it it can double as a whistle.
This was a typical scene when I was at my wonderful host family's home. The girls, Koko and Shuko, using an electronic Japanese-English translator with BlowPops in their mouth.
Apparently Miss G's costume issue wasn't resolved while I was away. Miss G still had no costume when I returned. As I was unpacking my suitcase, however, she saw something that "spoke" to here. A Kennedy Kimono. My friend, Yukiko-san, just happens to be a kimono teacher. She created a book for me called Easy Way of Kimono Wrapping - Special Version for Melinda I followed it step by step. It was easy! Thank you Yukiko!

2 comments:
Miss G's costume is beautiful!! Sorry I didn't see you to say goodbye before we left. I think I was in denial that I actually had to get on a plane and go home :] I hope you had an easy, uneventful first day back at school!
Ever says, "Hello Kitty is one of my favorite characters, too! Also, I would choose the gummy dessert from your breakfast and lunch blog (the one you said was yummy but didn't know the name)."
Post a Comment