Taiko drums are traditional japanese drums. In the olden days - and I mean old, Japan has been around for thousands of years longer than the United States - the edge of a village was marked by the furthest point from which the village taiko could be heard. During times of war, taiko drums were used to motivate troops, help set a marching pace and even communicate orders.
In my host city, Takeo, there were posters all over for a street festival. We went. I was excited because the main event was a taiko drum troop. This is what caught my attention first. The BIG drums.
There were two size drums in this group. These are littler snare drums.
As the men played they worked hard and were sweating. We were right up close. I could feel the sound in my chest! Can you?
For the last song the musicians wore a traditional japanese loin cloth called "fundoshi". Fundoshi may look odd to you, but it allowed the drummers to move around very easily as they preformed. The largest taiko drum was being played from both sides!
The next day I went to Takeo Middle School and got a taiko lesson. They teach many of traditional instruments at this middle school. First I played the snare drum.
Then I got a lesson on the big drum.
I'd like a taiko drum at my house. I could use it to let Miss G and J-Dude that it is dinner time...or if Mr. Jim is at the grocery store I could use it to let him know I forgot to put milk on the list. To earn KenYen check out how to make a modern day taiko drum.

1 comment:
Looks like taiko drumming is good for the abs and core!!
Post a Comment