Sunday, September 21, 2008

Building Bridges

I'll admit it. I'm acrophobic. I have a fear of heights. Could I be gephyrophobic? I don't like bridges either. That is why you'll never catch me in Canyon City walking across the Royal Gorge Bridge, the world's highest suspension bridge. No thank you. I'll admire it from 1,053 feet below. In a raft. Relaxing on the Arkansas River.



In Japan, would I have the guts to cross the Akashi Kaikyō Bridge? Not only is it the world's longest suspension bridge, but it is the world's tallest suspension bridge too. (Oh my. My heart is racing.) This amazingly engineered bridge was built to withstand 180 mph winds and survive an 8.5 earthquake. All bridges expand and contract during the day due to temperature changes. The Akashi Kaikyō Bridge may expand 7 feet each day! It opened in 1998.

This bridge holds another world record. Click here to find out and and earn some KenYen.

No comments: